You are here

Cor​onavirus: Information for Students, Staff, and Fellows

Last updated 13 October 2020

Our main site has reopened for members of College. The Lodge is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be contacted on  Further information is available about the status of onsite operations. We have also now published a page of Frequently Asked Questions for students with symptoms of COVID-19 as well as information about self-isolation and support available for students.

Please note the process to follow if you experience symptoms of the virus:
  • Students, Fellows and staff should refer to University Early Alert Service (EAS) and book a test if you are unwell and suspect you may have symptoms caused by COVID-19.
  • Students in residence should immediately notify the Lodge (telephone 01865 279120 / email, leaving details of your test booking date and time and symptoms, your accommodation/ room number, and your telephone number. Your information will be handled with discretion but it is important that the College knows you are unwell with a suspected case.
  • Staff should inform their line managers and the Domestic Bursar.
  • Academic staff should contact the Senior Tutor ( with copy to the academic Administrator ( 
Keep inf​​ormed​

We encourage everyone to continue to check the University's Coronavirus webpages regularly to keep informed of the latest local advice. The webpages include detailed information for students and staff, including frequently asked questions.

You may also find the following sites useful:

Mental health

Any member of our community might find the Mind website helpful when coping in these difficult times.

Reopening of The Queen’s College Library

The Library has reopened to College members. We have introduced many new procedures to encourage social-distancing and to keep everyone safe – please see our Library webpage for more information. Reader spaces are available, but must be booked in advance – please do not come to the Library without booking a space first.

The library and the archives will remain closed to external researchers but enquiries can be sent to or (for the Archive), and we will pleased to help where we can.

If you have any questions related to the Library, please do not hesitate to get in touch by emailing

  • For staff

    There is further information for academic staff about COVID here.

    Please see the information on iTrent about returning to work and liaise with your line manager about specific arrangements.

    Working from home

    Please make use of Microsoft Teams as much as possible (including for virtual coffee breaks!). The LinkedIn Learning courses provide useful introductions to a range of things, including a one-hour introduction to remote working, and the University has a site licence for everyone. David Olds has compiled a set of resources on the Queen's IT Office Blog that may help you adjust to remote working. (There is also a useful page of resources compiled by Oxford IT Services.)

    The University has created resources on the HR website to support those working from home.

    On a practical note, please use an out-of-office auto-reply message to let people know when you are / aren’t available if you’re following a different routine from usual.

    Temporary sick pay arrangements for staff

    Until further notice the following arrangements will apply in the event that you have symptoms of coronavirus:

    • If you have coronavirus symptoms, you should contact your line manager, who will discuss with you whether and how you can work from home.
    • If you have to self-isolate you will be expected to carry on working from home if possible, so long as your symptoms are mild enough that you would ordinarily continue to come in to work.
    • If you have to self-isolate but are unable to work from home, you will be granted special paid leave at the normal rate of pay for that period.
    • If you are too unwell to work during the period of self-isolation, you should contact your line manager from home to let them know.
    • You will not be required to use annual leave to cover a period of self-isolation, and this will not be included in your sickness record. If you are unwell beyond the seven days of self-isolation required by Public Health England advice, then the resulting absence should be treated as sickness absence, and the College’s normal sick leave policy will apply.