The College has a grant scheme to support undergraduates from regions of the UK distant from Oxford.

Students who are eligible for this grant must be undergraduate students at the College and have started their course in or after October 2019.  On the first day of the academic year, they must have been assessed as home fee status and have a home address within the UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands, or the Republic of Ireland and located 125 miles or more from the College (as defined by the long-distance calculator below).  They must be resident in Oxford for the term.

They will then be entitled to a non-repayable grant of £100 per term (£300 per year), intended to cover travel costs to and from Oxford.

This scheme began in October 2019 and has currently been renewed until 1 October 2025.

Why do we think it’s important?

Students from distant regions of the UK are currently under-represented at Oxford. We want to help change this, by offering practical financial support to offset the greater costs associated with travelling longer distances to attend university.

We hope that this grant will make it easier for students from regions further from Oxford to attend Queen’s.

Do I qualify?

To be eligible for this grant, you must:

be a Queen’s undergraduate whose undergraduate course starts during or after October 2019

live within the UK, at a distance of 125 miles or more from Oxford

What is Home UK fee status?

Students qualify for Home UK fee status if, on the first day of the first academic year of their course, they:

are settled in the United Kingdom within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971; and

have been ordinarily resident throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

have not been ordinarily resident for the main purpose of receiving full-time education at any point during the past three years.

The following categories of students may also qualify for Home UK fee status:


Persons granted Humanitarian Protection and family

Long residence

Please visit the University fee classification page for more information.

Where can I find out more?

If you have any questions about these grants, please email the College Office on