The Queen’s College is introducing a new grant scheme to support undergraduates from regions of the UK distant from Oxford.
From October 2019, all undergraduates with Home UK fee status who live 125 miles or more from Queen’s will be entitled to a non-repayable grant of £100 per term (£300 per year), intended to cover travel costs to and from Oxford.
The College has committed to this scheme for an initial five year period from October 2019 to June 2024.
Why do we think it’s important?
Students from distant regions of the UK are currently under-represented at Oxford. We want to help change this, by offering practical financial support to offset the greater costs associated with travelling longer distances to attend university.
We hope that this grant will make it easier for students from regions further from Oxford to attend Queen’s.
Do I qualify?
To be eligible for this grant, you must:
- be a Queen’s undergraduate whose course starts during or after October 2019
- have Home UK fee status
- live within the UK, at a distance of 125 miles or more from Oxford (check here)
What is Home UK fee status?
Students qualify for Home UK fee status if, on the first day of the first academic year of their course, they:
- are settled in the United Kingdom within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971; and
- have been ordinarily resident throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
- have not been ordinarily resident for the main purpose of receiving full-time education at any point during the past three years.
The following categories of students may also qualify for Home UK fee status:
- Persons granted Humanitarian Protection and family
- Long residence
Please visit the University fee classification page for more information.
Do I live more than 125 miles from Queen’s?
Use our distance calculator to find out if you live more than 125 miles from Queen's!
Where can I find out more?
If you have any questions about these grants please contact the Schools Liaison, Outreach and Recruitment Officer.