The Upper Library (23 reader spaces), Lower Library (4 spaces) and New Library (18 spaces) are all now open and bookings for desks are being taken. Please note that the Library is only open to readers who have booked a space in advance.
We are trialling new arrangements, so please refer back to this page for further updates, and bear with us as we adapt. Hand sanitiser and wipes will be available – please use these responsibly when using the Library. No printing facilities will be available.
Our Library staff are available for advice or help – please contact them by email on email@example.com or phone 01865 279130 (79130).
New Click & Collect service now available
All items that are currently available to borrow from the Queen’s Library can be requested on SOLO. You will need to sign into SOLO using your Single Sign-On then click on the “Click & Collect” button to initiate your request. You may request up to 5 items at any one time. Once these requests have been fulfilled, you can request a further 5 and so on – up to a maximum of 30 books.
Once Library staff have processed your request and the item(s) are available for loan, you will receive an email indicating that they are ready for collection and at what time. Please do not come to the Library before you are advised to do so. Books should be collected from a designated collection point, located just outside the Library.
Please place any items you are returning in the boxes outside the Library. After quarantining, they will be processed and made ready for borrowing again.
There are three bookable timeslots for reader spaces.
Monday – Friday
9:15am – 12:15pm
1:30pm – 4:30pm
5:30pm - 8:30pm
The Library will be closed for cleaning in between these periods and for staff to operate a book picking service/ re-shelving.
How to book a reader space
Please complete an online booking form. A member of library staff will email you to confirm your booking. If you need to make any changes or cancel your booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Where possible, please contact us if you cannot make your booking. Repeated no-shows may lose desk booking privileges. Reader spaces will be booked on a first come first served basis. Please bear in mind that the library is a shared resource and whilst you might request multiple bookings we cannot guarantee that all your requests will be fulfilled. The time slots are currently 9:15am – 12:15pm, 1:30pm – 4:30pm and 5:30 - 8:30pm. Monday – Friday – but it is envisaged that there will be bookable spaces across the weekend in the near future. You will be notified when booking if all the spaces have already been allocated.
Access and COVID-19 arrangements
- Please wait outside the Library, and observe the 2m social distancing guidance. A member of staff will admit you to the Library. Arrive promptly at the start of your booked reader space and leave promptly at the end of your booked period. If you cannot make your booked reader space then email the Library so that the space can be released for someone else.
- Place any items you do not need for your work in the lockers provided. These will need to be removed when you leave and the locker wiped down with a wipe so that is safe for the next person to use. Nothing can be left in the Library.
- Please wipe down your desk, light switch and chair with the wipes provided and place the used wipe in the bin provided. Do the same when you vacate the space.
- Use of face masks is mandatory in all enclosed spaces unless you are exempt from wearing one.
- You are encouraged to remain seated and not wander around, except to visit the toilet, during your booked reader space-time. There will be a one way system in operation in some parts of the Library – please follow the signs.
- Please do not touch any of the books on the shelves – if you need any assistance, please talk to a member of the Library staff.
- Do not come to the library if you have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Please see the following links for information on safe working practices in the Upper Library, the Lower Library and the New Library and Multipurpose Room
The Library and the archives remain closed to external researchers but enquiries can be sent to email@example.com or (for the Archive) firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will pleased to help where we can.
You can choose to work in the 19th century Lower Library or be inspired by the stunning 17th century Upper Library, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful reading rooms in Oxford (and the wider world). In Spring 2017 the New Library, situated underneath the Provost’s Garden, was opened, providing a light-filled space befitting the 21st century.
We are responsive to student requirements and our large and constantly changing lending collection of 50,000 books reflects this. Students also have access to a diverse range of electronic resources which can be accessed via your own equipment or the library’s public access terminals. Combined with our generous lending policies, the College library is the starting point for your access to Oxford’s world renowned library service.
The friendly library team are on hand during staffed hours to answer your enquiries and help you get the best out of our resources. For further information on using the Library please visit our LibGuides information page. New readers may also find the Bodleian Libraries introductory webpages useful, as a guide to using resources across Oxford more widely.